Neurology is the specialty that deals with the nervous system, which includes the brain, blood vessels, muscles and nerves. In addition to our neurologist, you may also see a neurosurgeon, who will use a surgical approach to treat a neurological disorder.
Here are some of the conditions that a neurologist can determine:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Back pain
- Brain or spinal cord injury and infection
- Brain tumor
- Developmental delays
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Peripheral neuropathy (a disease affecting your nerves)
- Pinched nerve
FAQs about Neurology
- What will happen at a neurological exam?
- Your neurologist may check your coordination and reflexes, your strength and ability to feel things. He or she may ask questions to determine if your speech is slurred or your vision is off.
- Will the neurologist perform any diagnostic tests?
- Depending on your symptoms, other tests such as these may be ordered to confirm the diagnosis or guide treatment:
- blood and urine tests to look for infection, toxins or protein disorders
- an MRI or CAT scan of your brain or spine to look for damage or tumors
- an EEG (electroencephalograph), which uses small electrode patches to record electrical activity in your brain.
- an EMG (electromyogram), which will use electrodes on your skin to test the communication between a nerve and muscle.
- a test to measure how your brain responds to stimulation from sounds or flashing lights
- a spinal tap, which is when a small amount of fluid is taken from your spine to look for an infection or blood
- a biopsy, which is when a small piece of tissue is taken for viewing under a microscope to check for a neuromuscular disorder.
The neurology department can also provide you with handouts to answer your questions in more detail.
Riverside Medical Clinic Neurologists
In addition to four years of medical school, our board-certified neurologists each underwent three more years of training specifically in the field of neurology and bring decades of experience to offer you the best care.
Meet Our Neurologists!